Blog Post for dendearts.com

Can you be too fat for capoeira?

Probably the most physically-demanding activity I could possibly consider (other than ballet) and I think I'm too fat to do it. I'm not obese nor do I lack the motor-skills to reach different cervices on my body, but yet, I feel like I way too much to do this art probably.

I'm a capoeira instructor, in a new location, and lack the ability to attending weekly classes. I teach them myself, but recent weather-related incidents have prevents my class from being taught. I'm on my own. This is the struggle for a lot of instructors (in what I imagine in anything) is that they have to rely on themselves to get better. No students, no peers- just you and an empty space.

I have movements when controlling my body weight is effortless, but the majority of the moves that continues to mystify me still seem impossible. Impossible in the sense that joints would pop, and bones would snap if I attempted the movements enough times required to do them.

I'm assuming as you read, you're seeing what tends to be the real with matters like these. It's more mental then anything else. That's what I would argue to be the problem, yet real enough to affect me probably. My weight has created this insecurity of my jogo, my movements, were I feel like I'm not up to par. I'm not where I should be because of my weight.

Even if there was an actually weight limit to capoeira- let's make an arbitrary number, like 228...would that actually start to work against you? Imagine if instructors weighed you before each class, and suggested that you consider changing diets, and worked on your cardio, would that convince you to keep taking capoeira? Being fit would help with the movements, but wouldn't necessary make you learn art faster.

I don't need to fly through the air, or do spring off concrete like it would a tramboline (would like to though) but that isn't what defines how great capoeira is. I could be flexible, moving through my body through smooth transitions, going from the floor to standing back to the floor again...with a little wiggle, and a little jiggle. All of this is possible, but why, WHY, do I feel like my weight is keeping me grounded? Am I not training hard enough?

No, that's not it at all. It mostly means...I'm not training. I'm just thinking about it to much. You can't just think about capoeira, you have to do it.

Duh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dudes and Doubt

Training Grounds

Brain Vs. Brawn